Are Puffball Mushroom Poisonous? (No, except…)

puffball mushroom poisonous

Are Puffball mushrooms poisonous? This article will discuss the facts about these fungi.

You’ll learn more about Lycoperdon perlatum, the Giant Puffball, the Purple-spored Puffball, and the Skull-shaped Puffball.

Once you know what the facts are, you can decide if they are worth trying to grow.

But first, be sure to read the label and understand what the plant’s name means.

Lycoperdon perlatum

The puffball mushroom is a type of edible mushroom that is found in parks and forests throughout Europe. Its common name is derived from the olive-brown spore dust it emits.

While puffball mushrooms are generally toxic, there are a few species that are safe to eat. Lycoperdon perlatum, or common puffball, is one of the safest to eat. Young specimens have a white interior and are suited for sautéing or frying.

Read Also:- When To Harvest Lion’s Mane (+ How to harvest it)

The poisonous puffball mushroom is a popular edible in many parts of the world. It grows in forests, gardens, grassy clearings, and roadsides.

The young fruit of L. perlatum are edible and contain white internal flesh. It is easily distinguished from other types of puffballs by the texture of its surface.

In fact, researchers have identified several chemical compounds in the fruit bodies of L. perlatum that give the mushroom its unique flavor.

Puffballs are saprobic, or skinnier than a fungus, and they have softer spines. The common puffball, which grows on wood, is a good example of this type of mushroom. Common puffballs are best eaten in slices.

Another type is the stump puffball, or Apioperdon pyriforme. It’s also known as war mushroom.

The Common Puffball is widespread throughout Britain, Ireland, and Australia. The fruiting body of the fungus is white, while the browner ones are toxic.

On larger specimens, some people cut away the yellow part of the fungus and eat the white part. But that’s not the poisonous Lycoperdon perlatum.

While the egg and button stage of other mushrooms are edible, the common puffball has higher protein content.

Read Also:- The Best Compost For Flower Beds: top 7 favorites

Giant puffball

You may have heard of these edible mushrooms, but are you sure they aren’t poisonous?

To make sure that you’re not in danger of contracting poison from these giant mushrooms, you need to learn how to identify them. Puffballs must be uniformly white and should not have any blemishes or spots.

If they’re past their prime, they may be off-flavorous or even poisonous. If you notice any of these characteristics, you should avoid eating them. You should also check for any insect infestation or maggots, as these mushrooms may have a high toxin level.

You can also peel off the outer skin, but make sure to avoid any that are leathery or tough, as these will be soggy. Once you’ve cleaned the puffball, you can store it for up to 2-5 days in

Puffballs are white inside, but their skin is harder than the rest of the mushroom. To avoid inhaling the spores, you can chop off the outer layer of the mushroom and store the spores in a non-chlorinated gallon jar.

You can add a pinch of salt to the water or buy distilled water instead. You should add a small amount of molasses to the water if you wish to save space. However, do not use the water for cooking because it may contain bacteria.

The giant puffball mushroom has a white interior. If the outer shell cracks and shows through, you can harvest it. If it’s completely brown, it’s not edible. Giant puffball mushrooms are commonly found in grassy areas and deciduous forests.

Read Also:- What is the Difference Between Bulb Fibre and Compost?

They’re not known for being poisonous, but they can cause illness if consumed. If you’re curious about this mushroom, don’t be afraid to try it. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by how delicious it is.

Purple-spored Puffball

The Purple-spored Puffball mushroom looks like a fungus with a cup-like base. It is immature, but during the fall, it turns purple and persists as a cup-like stump. The spores are not visible on the outside of the fruiting body, so you can’t eat them.

As the puffball ages, the spore mass turns brownish and powdery. It’s this spore mass that makes Purple-spored Puffball different from other similar puffball mushrooms.

Cooking Purple-spored Puffball mushrooms is easy. First, slice the mushrooms into hunks. Then, place them in a pan and add a generous amount of butter.

Cook them for about 5 minutes. Be careful and ensure you know which variety you’re eating. Remember that even if you’re planning to make mushroom puree, you shouldn’t eat the spores raw. These mushrooms release water, which is a stinky nectar.

When picking Purple-spored Puffball mushrooms, avoid contact with the spores. These fungi are highly poisonous. You should avoid ingesting them if you’re allergic to them. However, if you have a mild case of Puffball poisoning, you can still harvest the spores and use them in cooking. There are also edible puffball spores that are available online. Although they have the same scientific name, the fungus is still considered poisonous.

The scientific name for Purple-spored Puffball mushrooms is Calvatia cyathiformis, although there are similar species.

Read Also:- Vitamix vs. Lomi Composter: Key Differences (+ Uses)

The spores of Calvatia Cyathiformis are purple, while those of other species have lighter-colored ones. If you’re unsure about which one you’re looking for, you can use microscopic tests to identify the different species.

Skull-shaped Puffball

When they are immature, Skull-shaped Puffball mushrooms look like a button, but in reality, the interior is white and edible.

You can saute them in butter and add them to stews or soups. To ensure that you’re not consuming a poisonous mushroom, slice them vertically.

When in doubt, cut them off. If you see a yellow outline, that’s an indicator that the mushroom has gone bad.

The Skull-shaped Puffball is less than 10 inches across and 2 to 3/8 inches tall. When young, it’s white or tan with thin plates that are reminiscent of skulls. As it grows older, the white surface turns tan.

It grows in open woods near oak trees. Skull-shaped Puffball mushrooms are poisonous, but the spores are not.

When identifying a puffball mushroom, make sure to cut it in half and examine it carefully. It’s easy to confuse a puffball with a death cap, but the two mushrooms are not the same.

The stems and gills of these mushrooms start as a tight-knit ball. If you see yellow inside flesh, avoid it. It’s likely a poisonous mushroom.

You can’t eat the skull-shaped Puffball mushroom as a snack. You need to keep it away from children and pets. It’s not only toxic but also potentially harmful to your health. You should only eat the white ones.

They don’t have gills, or pores, but they are a great source of iodine. A good way to determine if you’re eating a poisonous mushroom is to check the label on the product to make sure it’s white.

Read Also:- Best Compost For Apple Trees (Examples with Photos)

Dusky Puffball

If you are looking for a mushroom that is poisonous, you may want to look into the Dusky Puffball. Known as Lycoperdon perlatum, the Dark Puffball is a similar mushroom, only darker. It grows in coniferous woodlands but can also be found on grass and sand dunes.

They prefer acidic soils. If you happen to find one, you should not try to eat it – you could die as a result.

There is no way to tell if the mushrooms are poisonous if you have never seen them before, but some have reported a variety of health benefits.

Puffball spores are useful as a styptic, which stops bleeding and is antibacterial. They are also antimicrobial and antifungal, and are known to fight infections as effectively as antibiotics like ampicillin.

This mushroom has millions of spores, which are light enough to be blown around.

If you are in doubt as to whether the Dusky Puffball mushroom is poisonous, you can look for signs that might indicate that it is.

Generally, puffball mushrooms are not toxic, but they do look similar to some kinds of poisonous mushrooms, so you must look for those.

You should cut the mushrooms in half and be careful to check that the outer rind is thin. A thick outer rind may be an earthball, which are poisonous.

The interior of the mushroom should be white, but if it is yellow or brown, it may be an old specimen or an egg stage of a dangerous species.

Also, you should avoid eating the spores, which contain toxic substances.

Read Also:- Best Compost For Apple Trees (Examples with Photos)


The Dusky Puffball mushroom looks similar to the Common Puffball, except that they have a darker skin and tiny dark warts.

These mushrooms are commonly found in heathland, meadows, and cemeteries, but rarely occur in large quantities.

The Dusky Puffball mushroom has a similar name as the giant puffball, but its name is different. The spores are available on the Internet and you can purchase them online.


To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow!

Sign up for our newsletter and turn your thumb greener with each season. No spam, just blooms. Subscribe now and start nurturing nature's beauty with us!

You have Successfully Subscribed!